Monday, September 25, 2006

Television in Beijing

American television shows I’ve watched in China:

Oprah
Seinfeld
The Bold and the Beautiful
Two and a Half Men

Larry King (today’s guest was former N.J. Governor McGreevey)
Entourage
Cops (last night’s episode was from Jersey City, N.J.)

There’s a compilation version of Jon Stewart's Daily Show, but I’ve never caught it. At least Stewart, who is from Union, New Jersey, would improve the image of my home state being projected this week in Beijing. It's hard to tell how old most of the shows are, but they are not particularly current.

Shows that will be starting soon on Channel 80:

Hope and Faith
According to Jim
Everybody Loves Raymond


As you can tell, I have cable. There are channels in Chinese, Thai, English, German, French, and an English-language Korean station. (The German station also uses about half English and half German). The Chinese channels tend to be quite serious, and CCTV 9 has a very good analysis and interview show called Dialogue whose host speaks impeccable British-accented English. That station also has an excellent language program called Travel in China with a Canadian host with daily lessons in Chinese for English-speakers. CNN is the international version from Hong Kong, and HBO may be from Singapore. The latter is laundered of most profanity. Channel 80 on my cable is “Starworld,” which has an eclectic mix of American shows with a few British ones tossed in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judith Brodhead said...

Yes - at the beginning eight weeks seemed to stretch interminably. But now I realize there are things I won't have time to do and I'll have to come back! I love that broadcaster's accent - it reminds me of the actor who played the last emperor in the Bertolucci movie. I need to come back so I can get to Shanghai or Xi'an.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home